Saturday, September 20, 2003

Getting everything done - not

Daily I thank the Balinese for teaching me that everything gets done sooner or later - not to rush at everything in stress factor. It will happen. Everything has its time.
It is hard for a Westerner to adopt this thinking. We are used to immediate gratification. And we are used to pressuring ourselves with lists of responsibilities.
I have a pile of work to do.
I always have a pile of work to do.
The more I do, the more it arrives.
Sometimes it frightens me.
But then I think of Bali - and I think that it will get done, calmly, in its time.
Nonetheless I can get annoyed with myself. Yesterday I was determined to do two projects - the net column and an update for the ernmalley.com website
The column was difficult, as sometimes it is. It took hours of dreary surfing. And by the time it was filed, I had to cook dinner. I had not done the other project.
I would do it today.
Today I wrote book reviews - because their time to be written had come.
And I did the washing.
But the website work is not yet done - and it weighs heavily.
I know it is not the end of the earth if it is not done today. But I will feel happier if it is.
Because I have masses of other work I want to do.
And I need to have it all done before .....

...before I go back to work.

No comments: