Saturday, July 17, 2004

Farenheit incendiary

At last the film has been seen - and riveting it was. The media preview was enthusiastically attended, not just by media but by the film world, too. Scott Hicks was among them, his hair growing once again, now long pageboy.
People sat literally on the edge of their seats throughout the film. I was surprised to learn afterwards how many people were unaware of many of the revelations in the film. I guess my interest and intimacy with US politics is somewhat above average. So there were many people shocked and, as in the US, people wanted to hang around a talk rather than make the usual quick exit from the cinema.
I think the film was too long. Moore dwelt too long on the grieving Flint mother. It was overkill and it detracted from the intensity of the documentary. That said, it was well researched and balanced with just enough savage irony to break the gravity with levity.
Bush at the primary school after being told of the attack was what disturbed many people most, they told me. Bruce says it was the same in the US. The "deer in the headlights" idiocy one observed.
I was disturbed by the servicemen in Iraq, particularly in hearing the kick-head music they pipe through their helmets to hype them into attack. I did not know about this and I find it sinister.

No comments: